The Art of Venetian Plaster


I have always been fascinated by Venetian plaster, and those who love the look, consider the finish ultimate in elegance. The richness of the lustrous colors in Venetian plaster truly make the room.  Used in Italy for hundreds of years, the plaster was used to repair or even replace damaged marble.  On top of the fact that it is durable, this classic finish, made up of marble dust, lime and pigments, actually feels amazing to the touch.

There are lots of great things about this plaster, like the fact that it can be smoothed out to feel like glass, but the most fascinating thing about it in my opinion, is that for some reason those of us who might go with a more subtle pallet of paint choices for our home really can go wild with Venetian plaster and it always looks spectacular!

In theory, the finish should be an easy task, but I have experimented with it for a project at my home, and let me tell you... not as easy as one might think.  It takes an artist to truly bring the Venetian plaster to life.  Tom Soltys, with whom I always seem to cross paths, is one of those rare people who can make any crazy color look out of this world, even black!  He was showing me the other day a finish he did for on of his clients, and I was just blown away.  The black Venetian plaster, contrasting the white travertine floors... I automatically pictured classic contemporary furniture, wall accessories and lighting, which would further contrast the finish.



Here's one home we crossed paths on... it was an amazing project by the talented team of Carl Wesley Lowery and Cody Wayne Glover from Wesley-Wayne Interiors.  If you are looking for an interior designer, they should be in on your list of potential interviews.  I asked Tom if I could use his photos for my blog, and he agreed, so of course I asked him if he would like it if I'd add his phone number... "Of course," he said.  So, here it is: 214.677.6254.  I think that everyone, home owner or interior designer, should get to know Tom for sure.