Wrought vs. Cast

I live a dual art metal life... at Potter Art Metal Studios I work with Wrought Metal, and in my personal time I work with Cast Metal.
I always get this question: So what's the difference?
Here is the short and sweet version:

Wrought simply means that a piece of metal, usually a square or round bar or plate, is shaped by being hit with a hammer.  In the case of wrought iron, the metal is usually placed in the forge until it's red hot so that it can be pliable.  This is what we do at Potter Art Metal Studios.  Via this process our artisans forge pieces and make chandeliers, fandeliers, lanterns, drive gates, table bases, window grilles, decorative hinges, doors, and many, many, more pieces designed by myself or other designers.  The cool thing is that it's all custom, and therefore can be made into exactly what the client's dreams are.  {I will explain the different forging techniques in my next post.}

© All Rights Reserved

As I mentioned earlier, my personal time is spent with metal casting.  More accurately; creating my sculptures in clay, which is an important step in sand, spin, or lost wax casting.
The main difference in Wrought Metal and Casting is simple: casting is a process by which a metal such as bronze, iron, or aluminum has been melted down to a liquid, and then is forced into a mold (a negative of lets say a tortoise; an empty hole.)  It's a great process... from my imagination, to clay, to a mold, a wax, to investment, to metal, to a bronze tortoise.  And now you know! {I will explain what a mold is and the differences in the casting processes in the near future.}

© All Rights Reserved

***For more information on my designs and the ornamental ironwork and lighting our metalworkers fabricate right here in Dallas, Texas go to www.potterartmetal.com

***For Sculpture, Paintings, and Glass Art go to www.BelaArt.com